How to Choose Between Used and New Restaurant Equipment
Whether you’re looking to set up your first commercial kitchen or you’re an established business looking to replace existing equipment, you’ve probably asked yourself, “wait, should I buy new or used restaurant equipment?”
To help clear the confusion, we’re here to make it easy for you to choose the right appliances for your business.
When Should You Replace Restaurant Equipment?
"When it comes to restaurant equipment, the bottom line is if the repair exceeds 50% of the equipment’s value, it’s time to let it go."
As a general rule, the average life expectancy for commercial equipment is 10 years. Repair costs after this time usually start to increase in cost and frequency. Even well-kept commercial appliances will break down over time, and after 10 years you’re at risk for expensive components like condensers and evaporators that need repairs or replacement.
Benefits of Buying Used Restaurant Equipment
You can pick up good quality restaurant equipment on the used appliance market. If you’re patient and know where to look, it’s easy to score like-new commercial refrigerators, ice machines, ranges, and other equipment from restaurants that have closed.
If you know what to look for, used appliances can save you hundreds of dollars compared to new equipment. But watch out for lemons—it’s easy to pour money down an endless pit of repairs before realizing you could’ve bought new for the same price.
Save On Your Initial Investment
All The Perks Of New Equipment
Should I Buy Used Restaurant Equipment?
Buying used commercial appliances is a good fit for people who:
- Have a strict budget and need to keep costs down
- Have time to educate themselves on buying used equipment the right way
- Don’t have a hard buying deadline and can shop around for a good deal
- Are comfortable being hands-on (that means negotiating, but also may mean being involved in the delivery and installation process, too)
Benefits of Buying New Restaurant Equipment
Make Your Money Back On Utilities
No Immediate Repair Expenses
Get Exactly What You Need
Get The Experts On Your Side
Should I Buy New Restaurant Equipment?
Buying new commercial appliances is a good fit for people who:
- Are well-established in the industry and are ready to invest in the long-term
- Want to save money on utilities and move toward an eco-friendly business model
- Know exactly what they want in their appliances
- Need expert guidance on which model to purchase
- Want a warranty for repairs, replacement, and maintenance
- Want to develop a relationship with a local distributor
- Don’t want to worry about repairs in the near future
Memphis Ice Machine Company: The MidSouth's Full-Service Distributor for Commercial Refrigeration & Repair Service
just a weekly email from your favorite ice machine company.